This manual page is part of the POSIX Programmer's Manual. The Linux implementation of this interface may differ (consult the corresponding Linux manual page for details of Linux behavior), or the interface may not be implemented on Linux.
tcsetpgrp — set the foreground process group ID
int tcsetpgrp(int fildes, pid_t pgid_id);
If the process has a controlling terminal, tcsetpgrp() shall set the foreground process group ID associated with the terminal to pgid_id. The application shall ensure that the file associated with fildes is the controlling terminal of the calling process and the controlling terminal is currently associated with the session of the calling process. The application shall ensure that the value of pgid_id matches a process group ID of a process in the same session as the calling process.
Attempts to use tcsetpgrp() from a process which is a member of a background process group on a fildes associated with its controlling terminal shall cause the process group to be sent a SIGTTOU signal. If the calling thread is blocking SIGTTOU signals or the process is ignoring SIGTTOU signals, the process shall be allowed to perform the operation, and no signal is sent.
Upon successful completion, 0 shall be returned. Otherwise, −1 shall be returned and errno set to indicate the error.
The tcsetpgrp() function shall fail if:
- The fildes argument is not a valid file descriptor.
- This implementation does not support the value in the pgid_id argument.
- The process group of the writing process is orphaned, the calling thread is not blocking SIGTTOU, and the process is not ignoring SIGTTOU.
- The calling process does not have a controlling terminal, or the file is not the controlling terminal, or the controlling terminal is no longer associated with the session of the calling process.
The following sections are informative.
The Base Definitions volume of POSIX.1‐2008, <sys_types.h>, <unistd.h>
Portions of this text are reprinted and reproduced in electronic form from IEEE Std 1003.1, 2013 Edition, Standard for Information Technology -- Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX), The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 7, Copyright (C) 2013 by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc and The Open Group. (This is POSIX.1-2008 with the 2013 Technical Corrigendum 1 applied.) In the event of any discrepancy between this version and the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard, the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard is the referee document. The original Standard can be obtained online at http://www.unix.org/online.html .
- The value of pgid_id is a value supported by the implementation, but does not match the process group ID of a process in the same session as the calling process.
Any typographical or formatting errors that appear in this page are most likely to have been introduced during the conversion of the source files to man page format. To report such errors, see https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/reporting_bugs.html .