- One of the string arguments whose contents are concatenated together, in the order specified, separated by single <space> characters.
- Provide a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. (See the Base Definitions volume of POSIX.1‐2008, Section 8.2, Internationalization Variables for the precedence of internationalization variables used to determine the values of locale categories.)
- If set to a non-empty string value, override the values of all the other internationalization variables.
- Determine the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multi-byte characters in arguments).
- Determine the location of message catalogs for the processing of LC_MESSAGES.
- Successful completion.
- An error occurred.
logger myname: unable to read file foo. [timestamp]